Initial Vonage Experience

My setup package from Vonage was waiting for me when I got home from work today, so I’ve been busy making some phone calls to test things out.

The instructions were very simple. I have an existing Linksys SRX200 wireless router plugged into my cable modem, so all I had to do was plug a cable from the VoIP router to my existing one, plug in a phone and finally power it up. I immediately got a dial tone and searched through the documents provided to see what else I had to do. That seemed to be it.

I called my own cellphone and since I was right there that didn’t make too good of a test so I called my girlfriend. We could barely understand each other due to the constant fading in and out of sound on both sides. It was like an audio rollercoaster catching every few words of the conversation.

After testing a few things and reading the online help, I disabled the firewall on my Linksys SRX200 and it seems to have fixed my issue. I called my mom and the sound was crystal clear. Better than I would have expected.

I would like to re-enable my router’s firewall but a quick search on the internet wasn’t fruitful, so I’ll have to keep looking. I also need to hook up my DirecTV to it, but there seems to be a lot of info available for doing that.

So far, so good. I’m currently happy with my decision.

UPDATE: Setting up DirecTV was as simple as setting up a ,,#019 dial prefix as described here.

Commenting has expired for this post.