I haven’t updated my progress on the project I’ve been working on in a while. This is somewhat due to simply getting caught up in the development of it. I’ve also been working the past few weeks on creating the CSS/HTML based on the delivered design. Here’s two things I’ve learned about my experience since last time…
Don’t forget about running your tests
While I think I did a good job creating unit tests, I definitely let my functional tests slide. I have also not been religiously running my existing tests, so it wasn’t much of a surprise that a number of them were failing when I ran them again recently. As I fix them up, I’ll be keeping track of where they would have helped me out.
One thing I do know is where I need to have functional tests. I’m not nearly as concerned with pages which do nothing but display information, mostly ones where it would change, or redirect you based on security.
IE7 is much easier to style than IE6, but still not quite as good
Okay, This isn’t really Ruby on Rails specific. This assumes you create styles like I do. Create your CSS to work in Firefox and Safari and then get it to work in IE. I did run into some IE7 weirdness, but overall, there will be far less tweaks with it than you’d have with IE6. I created separate stylesheets with IE6 and IE7 fixes and the IE7 one is roughly 80% smaller than the one for IE6.